Friday, July 11, 2008

The Crises of Holiness

1 Peter 1:15-17
But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

When I think "holiness," I immediately think of those who follow that "movement", or denomination, or whatever it is. You can always tell by the women. They look really homely (no offense); they don't wear make-up; they always have long hair that's braided up in the front. Oh yea, from what I can remember their husbands look somewhat normal. Then I think of an upstanding church-goer decked out in his/her Sunday best, knowing all the words to all the hymns, first to respond with the Bible verse when the Pastor prompts.

My mind then turns to the curtain that separated the Holy of Holies from the Holy Place. Then seraphs in Isaiah 6 crying "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord Almighty."

I have heard preachers say that only those who don't know much about God recite the mantra "God is Love" over and over. That God's primary attribute is holiness. I suppose that could be so.

Like that coal that the seraph puts on Isaiah's lips in his dream that purifies him from his uncleaness, I know that Christ has put His sacrifice on my sin so that I may be called a son of God. That the curtain separating the Most Holy Place is torn down only so my heart could now be the new Holiest of Holies.

But I confess not to have a clue what holy is. So when Peter recites this verse from Leviticus 19, I don't know where to start. Is being holy being sinless? I don't think so; why would God even bother telling sinful humanity that except to point to the need for a Savior? Is it listening only to music that doesn't have a beat? Is reading the KJV only, which I admit that old English has a certain "sound of holiness" to it? Is it not drinking wine? Is it going to every church service? Is it not doing a bunch of stuff?

I don't know.

I hope it's just doing my best to look, sound, act like Christ. Practicing that fruit of the Holy Spirit thing (there it is again, "Holy" Spirit).

All I know is I don't feel "holy."

1 comment:

Mark Main said...

I love the honesty and questions. I don't know if I have ever felt holy in my life. I think it would even be a little arrogant of me to declare myself holy. Any holiness I may display only comes through Jesus.

So, for me I guess I am never holy, but hopefully with Jesus help others can sometimes see his holiness through me.